How Long Does an Air Compressor Last?
Air compressors are essential pieces of machinery used in a wide variety of industrial and commercial applications. Understanding the different types of air compressors and their average lifespan is important for businesses to ensure they get the most out of their investments.
How Long Do Air Compressors Last?
When it comes to industrial air compressors, the lifespan can vary greatly depending on the type and use of the compressor. Generally speaking, the average air compressor can last anywhere from five to twenty years with proper maintenance. Factors such as compressed air temperature, humidity, and usage affect how long an industrial air compressor lasts. With good care and regular maintenance, an air compressor system can provide reliable service for many years to come.
Average Lifespan of Different Types of Air Compressors
- Centrifugal Air Compressors: 250,000+ hours (28+ years)
- Rotary Screw Air Compressors: 100,000+ hours (10+ years)
- Oil-Free Rotary Screw Compressors: 70,000 hours (8 years)
- Reciprocating Air Compressors: 50,000 hours (6 years)
Factors That Affect Air Compressor Life Expectancy
The life expectancy of an air compressor can vary depending on several factors. Some of the most critical factors are manufacturing quality, regular maintenance, and frequency of use.
Quality of Materials and Manufacturing
Industrial air compressors made with high-quality materials and excellent manufacturing processes can last many years, even decades. On the other hand, poorly constructed compressors may have a shorter lifespan and require frequent repairs or replacements.
Frequency and Intensity of Use
The frequency and intensity of use also play a significant role in determining the life expectancy of an air compressor. Reciprocating air compressors, for example, typically last around 50,000 hours or six years when running 24/7, while rotary screw air compressors usually last over ten years.
Additionally, the type of compressor and its intended use can impact its lifespan. For example, truck-mounted air compressors can last over 15 years if users focus on using a rotary screw air compressor. Therefore, it’s essential to consider the compressor’s intended use and choose a model that can handle the required workload to ensure a longer lifespan.
Maintenance and Upkeep
Maintenance and upkeep are also crucial factors that affect the life expectancy of an air compressor. Regular maintenance — such as air compressor testing, changing the oil, cleaning the air filters, and checking the belts and hoses — can help extend the equipment’s life. Neglecting maintenance can lead to premature wear and tear and ultimately shorten the compressor’s lifespan.
How To Extend Your Air Compressor’s Life Expectancy
To increase the life expectancy of an industrial air compressor, it is important to perform regular air compressor audits and servicing. Here are some tips to increase the life expectancy of an air compressor system:
- Check oil levels regularly. To ensure the compressor runs properly, it must be adequately lubricated. Check the compressor’s oil level at least once a day or every time it is used.
- Regularly change the oil and filters. You should change the oil and filters regularly to prevent contamination and ensure proper compressor lubrication.
- Keep the compressor clean. Regular cleaning can prevent the buildup of dirt and debris, which can cause overheating and damage to the compressor.
- Monitor the temperature. Overheating can cause damage to the compressor, so it is important to monitor the temperature and ensure that it does not exceed the recommended levels.
- Ensure proper ventilation. Industrial air compressors generate a lot of heat during operation, so adequate ventilation is necessary to prevent overheating and damage to the compressor.
By following these tips, the life expectancy of an industrial air compressor can be significantly increased, saving money on air compressor repairs and replacements in the long run.
Contact the Air Compressor Experts at NiGen
NiGen is the go-to source for all your air compressor needs. Our team of experts is experienced and knowledgeable in the field, and we can help you with any questions you may have about air compressors. From selection to installation to maintenance, we are here to provide you with the best advice and solutions for your project.
Contact us today to learn more about our air compressor rentals in Houston.